Wednesday 9 November 2005

worker bee

I am tired.

It's a good kind of tired, the kind after you've accomplished much and feel the night and bedtime approaching in your bones. I have done a lot today.

The job is just a job. I shuffle papers, answer the phones (trying to decipher the who-to-page-and-who-to-voicemail code) and smile at people I don't know. The steel-toed boots have been on once - a tour through the four buildings, seeing Production, Assembly, Design, Storage, Shipping. Everyone is very friendly. I'm trying hard not to really let go and enjoy myself, because even if they offered me a full time permanent job I don't think they could afford to pay me enough to make my gas bills worthwhile. It's just over seventy kilometres one way. (44 miles)

The drive home is nice, though. I get to be just me, not Mommy.

And I get to turn my music up really loud.

It almost makes it fun.

1 comment:

Lily'sMama said...

44 miles - wow! That is a long commute. I used to drive about 30 miles one way to work and that was far enough for me! I am so glad that I do not have a long commute now because I am sure I could not make it home after a night shift! I must say though that the longer commute was nice sometimes - time to unwind a bit anyways. The unfortunate part is the inclement weather that will be upon us soon! Ugh! I hate winter.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...