Friday 17 February 2006

kneading the dough

Everyone has something they do when they're mulling things over.

I have a friend who walks. She straps on her shoes, tosses on a jacket and loses herself in thought. And frequently finds herself in the next county, on backroads that don't look familiar in the gathering dusk. But somewhere, in these voyages, she finds a calming that carries into her everyday life - something amazing that keeps that serenity forefront in her mind even when things get hairy.

My grandfather creates. He'll wrestle with his problems for awhile, and then sooner or later he'll take out his paints, and my grandmother will find gorgeous and detailed works of art on her dining room table the next morning. And the frown-lines will have left his forehead.

In high school and college I could write out my frustrations. I could solve almost anything with words. I thought better on paper than I could speak. That trait has gone dormant now, lost in a life that allows it little free rein, so now.....

I make bread.

When fears and questions arise to taunt me in the wee hours of the morning, I climb carefully over my sleeping husband, go down to the kitchen and lose myself in some mixing and blending, some chopping and shaping. If Bear wakes up, he'll find me in the kitchen, surrounded by loaves and the sweet smell of yeast, and he'll say only 'Ah.' Then he'll kiss me, and leave me to it - I worry better alone.

He knows by the breakfast brioche the next morning that everything is right again in my world.

What helps you think?

10 comments:

Tessa said...

Sketching, mostly. To quiet the hum.

- - - -

In my opinion, there is nothing tastier than warm, home-made bread slathered in butter. Such a comforting food.

Cat, Galloping said...

i'm an obsessive thinkier, so when i'm mulling something over, i can't *stop* thinking about it. what i need is something to distract me so i can sleep! (audio books work.)

Joke said...

I make pasta from scratch. My late grandmother (the Italian one) used to tell me that some people have bread hands, and some people have pasta hands. I have pasta hands.

I always wanted bread hands.

Every non-bread machine bread I have ever attempted turns to REALLY thick matzoh.

Argh.

-J.

Crazy MomCat said...

I clean compulsively when I'm stressed or preoccupied. Of course, then there is also blogging and reading blogs, which is my best late night insomnia beater.

April said...

Wonderful post.

I drive. When I lived in Texas, I would hop in the car in the middle of the night and just drive, for hours and hours and hours.

Anonymous said...

Housework. Not compulsive cleaning, just regular old housework. By the time my house is tidy and smells fresh and clean, I've settled down and my troubles don't seem so insurmountable.

Of course, that means my husband is in the unenviable position of wanting me to be worried at least once a week so he doesn't have to do ALL the chores...

Major Bedhead said...

I used to be a bread-baker as well. I think I need to take it up again, otherwise I'm going to grind my teeth right out of my head.

Can I come to your house the next time you're stressed? I do love fresh baked bread. Mmm.

Sweet Coalminer said...

Knitting! But bread is far more delicious than the 8,754 unfinished projects we have lying strewn about the house!

Angewl said...

eat.

How sad....

Josi said...

I'm a cleaner too. One sure fire way for my husband to know something is wrong with me.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...