Wednesday 29 March 2006

wasting a good mad

I got home today (tired, hard day, overworked, two tired-hungry kidlets in the car, typical working mom blah blah blah) and walked into remodel hell. My jaw dropped. Nothing had changed since this morning!

Actually, that's not true. It was worse.

The floor was littered with drywall bits. The furniture was pushed around and it looked like a bag of nails had burst when it fell from the ladder. There was grit over everything.

I started to see a fine red haze. B had been here all day! He had promised he would get this done, and done before I got home! So much for the long conversation we had about finishing the job while we didn't have to worry about 'Let Me Help, Daddy!' and his sister, 'Guess What Tools I'm Hiding In My Diaper!' weren't around.

I tossed out some playdoh on the kitchen table (they had to have somewhere to play that was clean!) and whisked upstairs, bent on bestowing some wifely indignation. The computer was on, I noticed with a sniff as I tromped by, I'll bet he was on the computer all damned day.... and he was in the shower. I flung open the bathroom door.

"What happened today? And why didn't you...." I trailed off. Bear stuck his head out the shower curtain.

His eyes looked like they'd been boiled. His skin was flushed, and the air ....why did my bathroom smell like charcoal?

B coughed. "I just got back from town. They had us on standby out near the edges, patrolling to make sure nothing broke out this way. This morning we put out a grassfire here in the village - damned lucky two houses didn't go up."

Yeah. The guy I thought was sitting-on-his-ass all day? Was out fighting fires.

I swallowed it so fast, that mad never even got a chance to bubble.




The fire pictured above is one of six so far in a three county area - it is the biggest, so far burning 300 hectares (741+ acres) and is proving very difficult for the firefighters to get to - three water drops later, it is still burning merrily along. - Picture from the Queens County Times

1 comment:

Major Bedhead said...

You want some salt for that foot?

I so would have done the same thing.

Heh. WV - bfuot. Bigfoot? Badfoot? The sound one makes when one's foot is in one's mouth?

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...