Tuesday 23 May 2006

the hum of things going by

I realized yesterday that I'll never be twenty again. And probably never full of that hope and gonna-get-'em spirit like I was then.
But this? The thirty-five year old mom of two gig?
I kinda like it.

Thirty five seems to be the best so far - I'm aware that my body isn't the same as when I was in my twenties, but I have only a few new lines and sags, so no bellyaching about being over the hill.
I like that younger people think of me as grown-up, although it still amazes me that older people do - and I hope I never grow out of the lovely feeling of being a kid that my grandparents still give me.

Inside, I feel responsible and dutiful and ready-to-assume-control, but that feeling is fighting a never-ending battle with the voice inside me that screams 'Dance! Dance badly! WHO CARES!'

It's a nice hum. You could almost dance to it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dance! Dance badly indeed!!

You asked for a recommendation for a Salvador Dali book... sadly, I have no recommendation to give. I just went to the public library and chose two that had lots of images of his artwork so the students could take a look. Sorry!

My float said...

When I realised I was never going to be 20 again (or a famous and notorious celebrity for that matter!) it was a sad day. But then I perked up when my son came and gave me a huge grin and hug, and somehow it all became irrelevant!

Joke said...

I realized I'd never be 20 again on my 21st birthday. I almost cried.

Now that 35 is a dimming sight in my rearview mirror, I can say it was pretty good.

-J.

Angewl said...

Go ahead and Dance!!

I have no rhythm and can not dance at all, so could you shake it a little for me, too?

Tessa said...

So being comfortable in your own skin finally comes at 35?
Whew! I'm looking forward to it.

Susan said...

I just turned 38; recently, a friend said, "I thought you were so much younger!" And I was a little offended (in a good way, of course). Because I like being where I am and who I am.

I like dancing badly.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...