Thursday 22 June 2006

background music: Alannis Morissette, Ironic

A bad-Midas day here today. Everything I did or touched either fell apart or ended up being a bad idea. Thank goodness Bear has to work tonight - I might break him too. (Um, I have to take time off - my wife broke me.)

Yesterday I went to the hospital to see my doctor after office hours and found out what I assumed was a pulled muscle in the middle of my chest (R is getting to be a bigger sack of potatoes) was actually the muscles in my chest aching because they were trying to expand my lungs. My very first asthma attack, and not a wheeze out of me! I survived the vile-smelling masks and the resultant shakes afterwards, and slept like a log last night.

Today? I wake up, roll over, go to get my glasses off the nighttable and... drop my inhaler three feet (maybe) to the ground and break it. Teeny tiny pieces.

The kids were playing in the bathroom and dumped my shampoo, my face scrub, and my body wash in the tub. I really don't recommend trying to grab a gloppy handful like I did - I'm still picking bits of crushed apricot pit out of my hair. But I do smell squeaky clean.

I mopped the floor. Ten minutes later the cat threw up on it.

C broke his sandal, so off we went for replacements. He deliberated over every pair there before choosing one. While waiting in line to check out I looked down and realized the shoes he really liked had pink writing on the soles that read "Rachel II". Yup, girls shoes. C was horrified.

The ones he (grudgingly) settled on don't have the usual strap-behind-the-ankle and are useless for running or jumping or bike riding, so I suspect we'll be back looking for more soon.

C really really really wanted to go for a bike ride. It was later than I would have liked but why not? Tossed R in the stroller and off we went. He was having a great time and so was I until R started crying and waving her hands around and I noticed the black flies love them some little girl. I reached in the stroller bag (prepared! I come prepared!) and realized I'd emptied the bag last week.

We saw a turtle on the way back - a little painted turtle, which are lovely and not scary and often kept as pets - and C was nonplussed. I think the smallness of it scared him - it was very different than the turtle he was used to.

Lovely long baths, nice snuggling while reading books, then bed - even a request from my son to sing to him before he went to sleep. This night might end well after all!

I was halfway through the song when his sleepy voice came out of the darkness. "Sing it gooder, Mommy."

I want a do-over. And a cupcake.

Thank God tomorrow is another day.

5 comments:

Angewl said...

What a crappy day!! {{{HUGS}}}

Sounds like a very bad day adn I am so sorry. Were you able to get another inhaler? Are you feeling ok? No signs before hand? Please take care of yourself.

You are right... tomorrow IS another day.

Canada said...

Oh, poor you! Was it Friday the 13th and you weren't notified? Well, hopefully tomorrow will get better. And I hope you feel better, too. I don't know what kind of inhaler you have, but there are several available in the "Discus" format (not an aerosol), and let me tell you, they can take a major beating!!!

Jess said...

You guys are sweet!

I do have another inhaler - and honestly, I feel fine - it was just a mass of things today - one after the other after the other....

No worries! Lots of coffee tomorrow and I'll be good!

Joke said...

Weird juju you have going on there.

Hope it's all better today.

-J.

Tessa said...

Wow, I'd have given up.
You need a reset button. Or a life Ctrl+Z command.

Hope your friday is going much, much better.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...