Friday 28 July 2006

sleep baby sleep

Cass slept through the night at six weeks.

It was a very good thing that he did, as I was insane with new Mom jitters, and while it didn't mean I got to sleep any more (I was too busy going into the nursery at fifteen minute intervals to stand and watch his chest go up and down) it did mean time that I wasn't sobbing and trying to figure out what he wanted.

He's always been a good sleeper.

However, lately he's been having nightmares that wake him up and send him padding down the hall to ask if he can sleep with me. Most of the time Bear or I go back and sit with him in his room for awhile - he gets into his bed and we talk about his dream and how it was just a dream and that he'll only have good dreams the rest of the night.

Sometimes, the woebegone little face gets the best of me and he piles in, happy as all get-out, and we have whispered conversations about the cats and his stuffed dogs (Beau and Charlie, whom are usually brought along, shared out, and tucked in too) and then his eyes go slowly heavy and he'll yawn and settle himself.

(and memories of nights in the nursery, rocking and watching him fall asleep come flooding back)

And I fall to sleep smiling, clutching a stuffed animal and remembering how it felt when the world fell asleep on my lap.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh....the memories! They make me all misty-eyed.

MsCellania said...

I Love your last line
"when the world fell asleep in my lap."
There is no place in the world like the minute just as you fall asleep. It is HEAVEN!

Anonymous said...

God, you have a beautiful son.

Major Bedhead said...

Frame. That. Picture.

So cute.

Sweet Coalminer said...

OH that makes my heart ache. Beautiful boy.

Angewl said...

That is just the sweetest picture.

I agree. Frame it!

My float said...

this is beautiful. there's nothing better than watching them fall asleep, their little faces are so trusting and peaceful.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...