Friday 10 November 2006

nummy nummy apple crumble

for velcro, and bb, assuming she wants yet another apple recipe....

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix together:
3/4 cup tightly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Peel and slice:
4 cups apples (I use 6 to 8 apples, what's up with this 4 cups sliced stuff?)

Toss:
2 cups freshly made breadcrumbs (bread in the blender, woo-hoo!)
with 3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine

Butter a 11/2 quart casserole.
Arrange alternate layers of apples, breadcrumbs, and sugar mixture.

Combine:
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pour over top.

Cover dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, until apples are tender.

Serve hot. We like it with ice cream.

recipe from the Purity Cookbook, 1967

3 comments:

velcro said...

do you use white or brown bread?

made your soup this evening and it was delicious; even the FB ate some! I'm going to make it again definately but use cornflower instead of the eggs to thicken it (as you're not allowed to eat raw eggs here during pregnancy)

thanks for the apple crumble recipe!

Jess said...

Either white or brown, depends on what I have in the cupboard. Bear's Mum used sandwich bread, I think.

I'M SO GLAD you liked the soup!

Major Bedhead said...

I clicked on the randomizer and you were the first blog that popped up! How cool is that?

I'm starting South Beach on Monday, so I'm ignoring your recipe, even though it sounds heavenly.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...