Saturday 22 September 2007

going straight

I've been asked to write a blog for one of the local papers for their on-line version. After he saw some samples from this blog, the editor set up a site for me...with a very familiar title, but this time the byline is my real name.

This scares me just a little bit. I think you all know that I never paid that much attention to the horror stories and warnings about don't ever show your kids! Use fake names! Hide where you live! and I'm not sure if it's complacency or foolishness that keeps me feeling safe and far, far away from all the horror stories of blogdom.

Somehow, it all feels so much more real and dangerous, to be local. I have changed a few identifiers on the new blog - the kids finally have aliases, and I'm not listed under my married name, but I'm sure someone could figure it all out, given the inclination. That is, if anyone wanted to find out who writes the silly little things I put in there anyway.

So if that angst isn't enough....

now I have writer's block. The new blog is supposed to be funny, and new and improved! and for a new section of people - but I know my audience for this one, and I'm having a hard time moving to a new classroom with all new kids. (So to speak.)

Growing up isn't always easy to do.

11 comments:

molly said...

How exciting! Just sit down and start, no matter what kind of blather it is....You can always go back and cut out the blathery chunks! Oh, oh! I wish I could read it....And I'm sure you'll do fine. Look at all the great practice you got here.....

beagle said...

You're still saving the best stuff for us, right??


:-)

Angewl said...

That is so exciting!! I think you are a great writer and hopefully this can lead to bigger things!

Congratulations!

Stomper Girl said...

Congratulations. I am so impressed. Once the nerves settle you will be fine! Did you find it hard thinking up the aliases?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

First, congrats! Second, you are going to be great. Third, write about children in general even if your kids gave you the inspiration. Fourth, I'm with beagle, we still expect your best material here. :)

meggie said...

Very exciting news for you!! Congrats. Just pretend it is us you are writing for, & you cant go wrong!

My float said...

Congratulations.

You're funny and a great read - just pretend you're writing to all of us!!

Unknown said...

Hey, that's great...Congratulations!

You'll be fine, dip your toes in first and the rest is as easy as jumping.

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's very cool! Congratulations!

Over the years, I've slipped further and further from anonymity, and finally put my full name on the blog when I moved it to my own domain. Back in the beginning, I tried to write with aliases for the boys but couldn't do it - their stories with someone else's name just freaked me out.

M&Co. said...

Congratulations! Cranking out something, especially something funny, on a regular basis is HARD work. Remember that when you are struggling. Cause I'm sure you can do it!

jAMiE said...

As everyone has said, how exciting for you..congrats again!!!

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...