Thursday 13 September 2007

quit ruining my eco-trip

We've switched over to canvas carry-alls for groceries instead of the ubiquitous plastic bags. Our local grocery chain helped us out with this by making them available for 99 cents each - they're nice, sturdy with a green bottle on the front - square-bottomed, wide straps - a very handy little bag.

We've probably bought six or eight by now, though, because of all the uses that people keep finding for them. For instance, they're the perfect size to hold a change of clothes and shoes. Or a lunch, complete with thermos. Library books. Or for taking the recyclables back. They're just right for a sick dolly and her blankie.

I managed to wrestle several away from my family and went to go check out the produce today. Four sweet potatoes, some gorgeous eggplant and a really nice butternut squash. I didn't use the little plastic bags for the veggies because - really, who doesn't wash their vegetables first?

I hummed a little, waiting at the check-out. There was a new girl being trained (I always pick that line. It's one of my talents.) and I waited, musing over which recipe I was going to use with the eggplant and wondering if I could get B to eat it again. Alton's steak recipe, I decided, and put my things on the conveyor.

I was trying to remember if we had cider vinegar at home when I realized what I was seeing. The cashier, talking very quickly to the trainee while she rang items up, was telling her how to bag items. "And of course look to see if they have the bags before you start. Look at the yams! Aren't they lovely!" she smiled at me while she stuck my sweet potatoes in a plastic bag and put it inside my canvas bag. Ditto the eggplant. I didn't wait for the squash.

"Uh, I don't need the plastic, thanks."

Her hands stilled, and she blushed. "No, no, of course not." She unloaded the plastic bags and put my vegetables (nudely?) back.

I was telling B later how I was saving the world, one plastic bag at a time! glad I hadn't brought more plastic bags home with me. Of course, I'm sure that the bags in question were immediately thrown away, so not much of a savings there.....

B frowned. I was deep in an explanation of BlogHer Canada's monthly goal when it struck me - he wasn't really upset about the environment. Nor the bags.

No, B was concerned about the eggplant.

'That's not really dinner, is it?'

Hmph. Some people should be in a bag.

11 comments:

jAMiE said...

I love eggplant...breaded eggplant, excellent with pasta and it makes fabulous sandwiches. What did you make with it?

ps..i think i have the same bags as you, they are nice aren't they.

Stomper Girl said...

Sounds like my kids when something they don't recognise is served up to them. Assume it's nasty before you even taste it, why don't you?

I say Good On You for saving the world.

Caro said...

How funny. Another blogger friend had problems when the checkout girl was annoyed with her reuseable bags.

I was planning on doing a post on how handy those bags are too. I use them for carrying a change of clothes and pull-ups for Sammie.

But now you've posted about it. Shame on you. :)

Anonymous said...

I've not been able to figure out how to make a good eggplant... but my mother's eggplant sliced thick and cooked with stewed tomatoes and cheddar cheese -- absolutely divine.

molly said...

Good for you! I have a motley collection of fabric bags that I keep in my car. The trick is remembering to bring them into the store! But I'm getting better. And so are most of cashiers. But every now and again you get the clueless one, who doesn't make the connection. As in putting the produce in plastic first! But I'm educating them, one dimwit at a time. The environment, people....

M&Co. said...

I had to laugh out loud, Jess. Because that's exactly what the Huz would have said!

Pam said...

Yes, I too have a thing about plastic bags. It's such an easy way to be at least a little environmental. Though actually, I've recently discovered that plastic bags are good for picking certain items out of the cat litter....

Rick Rockhill said...

hey there. first time visitor to your blog. I have a reusable bag also for my groceries. I also buy lots of organic foods now...

meggie said...

It seems to be a male thing, with the vegies. I have to sneak things in when GOM isn't looking, & hope he doesn't realise.

Anonymous said...

I think I bought one of those black bags with the green bottles on it the very first day they were available. I put four of them up front ahead of the rest of the order and had to laugh as the (impossibly young) cashier rang them through, then proceeded to open a plastic bag and plop them inside! She was completely unphased when I suggested maybe she could use the newly purchased bags for the rest of my order.

Sarah Louise said...

I heart eggplant.

I have not crossed over to the eco-friendly bags--I get paperbags so I can use them for paper recycling and then the bag is recyclable too...

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...