Friday 7 September 2007

this could have ended badly

There's one in every bunch - the co-worker who, while not stupid - drives you insane because of their attitude. Eeyore is very smart and ready to discourse on any subject....for hours upon end. Coupled with a 'it looks like a bad day. oh bother.' attitute, this gets old fast.

B got hung up at a meeting he had on Monday, so lucky me! I got to take both the kids with me to my mammogram. Did I mention small girl hadn't had a nap? Yeah.
So while I marvelled stupidly at the way the big hospital does things the same way (Both hospitals share the same district, I always just forget) the kids tore up and down the hall and did not want to be contained. I flapped after them in my johnny shirt, hissing warnings and threats and finally cornered them with a forgotten stash of Legos, dug out of the farthest reaches of my purse.

This worked really well until I was actually called for the boob-squishing, when curiousity won out over my barkings to 'sit still!' I will always remember the round eyes of my kids peering over the barrier as the tech attempted to detatch things that were not meant to be interchangeable.

The tech took pity on me and my silly-putty breasts and finally sequestered the inquisitive two in the main ultrasound area with stickers. (Gotta get me some of those! *smacks head*)

They worked a treat. I was able to finish posing and put my poor abused chest back into my street clothes before I hunted the kids up....

Where I found them sitting with Eeyore, acting like angels.

'You have nice kids', he said.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it didn't end badly. And now the boobs can rest until the next check.

Anonymous said...

You poor poor thing! I can't imagine much worse than a mammogram AND having to take the kids! I've only had two and I nearly fainted during both of them.

Stomper Girl said...

I had to take Cherub to my internal examination and he kept wanting to know what was going on, despite the bucket of toys in the room. Oh the doctor is just feeling my tummy sweetie

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I like Eeyore. Kids know a nice donkey when they see one. Glad things ended well-ish.

meggie said...

I hope they invent a better system for checking the mammaries before get much older!

Joke said...

I think it must be Mammogram* Season. You're the fifth one I know to have one within a two-week span.

-J.

* That word always sounds like a vaguely lurid telegram.

KPB said...

Dear Lord! That's almost as bad as the realisation I had last week that if I really was going to make that GP appointment for the biannual scrapage (read pap smear) I'd have to take ALL FOUR of the BOY CHILDREN with me. Idiot. I changed the appointment.

J - it's like how women who work together all end up getting their period at the same time.

M&Co. said...

Oh a mammogram with the kids in tow. Eh gads! Were you bad in another life?

Pam said...

Poor you!

Anonymous said...

Stickers are awesome! And...in a pinch...a box of bandaids and a stuffed animal works miracles too.

Anonymous said...

Hee! I have an eeyore. She totally saved my life this week. Eeyore's are sometimes really great to have around.

Sarah Louise said...

So you work at the hospital where you had your mamogram? (Sorry, the storyteller in me is trying to pull the threads together, I'm not really trying to be nosy)(Although I guess I am.)

Glad it all worked out. And yes, stickers are wonderful!!

Jess said...

Oops, sorry, Sary. I work in the smaller,poorer hospital that's in the same district...led by the same organization.

Eeyore works at both.

Sarah Louise said...

Gotcha. My mom goes for her boob squishing today.

Caro said...

Oh man, I hate taking my kids to my docs appt. You have my condolences.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...