Wednesday 7 November 2007

bribing with Barbies

Okay, I've never done this before.

With Cass, we just kept taking him to the potty (and taking him and taking him and taking him) and finally one day I told him that we were out of diapers....forever.

But Rosey? Chickadee is wearing me down.

So after exhausting everything we did with Cass, (and I'm just not comfortable rewarding with M&M's, thanks*) we've decided to go for the Big Enchilada.

Barbie.

There's a big chunk of Mama-guilt up in my throat about this. Is it ever right to bribe your children?

The rules are simple. Stay dry until bathtime tonight.
I'll let you know how it goes.

*For all kinds of reasons, which I can explain if anyone wants - the most pressing being that her favorite reward? A mini-box of raisins. Ever been around a preschooler who's had too many raisins? Yeah. I'm thinking toilet-training and imminent diarrhea don't really go together.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww,

I don't think your "bribing" your Rosey! I think your rewarding her for her well-done :)

I am not a Mama yet, but I did nanny these two little girls for 8 years. Both through their potty-training stages. I found each one responded differently. The oldest one had to be "rewarded" while the youngest one wanted to be a big girl and pretty much did it all by herself.

I guess you just have to find whatever method works :)

Josi said...

We stocked up on Hot Wheels. He's potty trained now but still whenever he poops in the toilet he insists he gets a new car. Whoops!!
Good luck. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do and then it just clicked with him.
Also, I told him it was disrespectful to poop or pee on Spiderman or Thomas.

M&Co. said...

"Bribery" is such an ugly word. We prefer "positive reinforcement." And yes we do it ALL the time. Why do you suppose we have 10,000 Hot Wheel Cars at my house?

Anonymous said...

I'm with m&co. It is positive reinforcement. Good luck!!

A. Nonny Mouse said...

I didn't know that too many raisins brought on the trots. I would have thought that they just pooped like a rabbit, since I'd heard that raisins go out looking exactly the way they went in.

Learn something new every day.

Right now we're holding off on the potty training, in favor of waking up from the nap without a 45 minute tantrum. And the resulting listing on ebay.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...