Friday 21 December 2007

all the pretty horses

I was always fascinated with my mom's dresser-top.

A multitude of sweet, slithery, grown-up things were there - lipsticks, silk scarves, earrings and necklaces, favorite jewelry, perfumes. All the things little fingers itch for and are summarily denied. She tucked old photographs and letters in the corners of the mirror, as well - I remember brushing my hair with her brush and reading a letter my grandmother wrote her about being homesick at college - things I really didn't understand yet, but that sounded worldly and mysterious.

Far back in the corner (or else hidden in her top drawer) was always a horse, scratched and beloved.
She had two, back from when she and her little sister used to play Derby in the back yard, currying and clicking their tongues to their plastic steeds. While she was never raised around horses, growing up in the Bluegrass State made every little girl a budding horsewoman.

The company that fueled many of these dreams and made the statues? Breyer.

This year, we've decided Rosey is old enough for her first horse-dreams and found her a Breyer of her own.


I think Mom will like that.

6 comments:

beagle said...

This post brought back memories! My horse crazed phase is still vivid to me 30+ years later.

You mom will love it and Rosey will too.

Merry Christmas!

His Office, My Studio said...

Hubby has a horse statue on his dresser that was his uncles.

I too loved looking at the things on top of my Mom's dresser. Now some of Mom's things are on my dresser and the memories live on.

kurrabikid said...

What a lovely post - and happy Christmas to you and your family...

tut-tut said...

One of the first "special" things my mother bought L was a Breyer horse--and she promptly broke one of its legs! But it is still on the table next to her bed.

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Beautifully written.

meggie said...

I could see my mother's dressing table as I read this post.

My mother didn't have a statue horse, but she had her own horse!
Myself- I am afraid of them, even though I can ride.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...