Friday 14 December 2007

santa never checks to see if it's home-made



It's December. December, arguably the most fragrant time of year - a time celebrated with good food and good cheer.

A time of year where nearly everyone you meet hands you a cookie.

Coooooooooookieeeeeeeeeeeeees.
(As Cookie monster would delightedly chortle.)

My mom always made Springerle. I never appreciated them as much as the Rum Balls - chocolaty-crumby goodness won out over stiff biscuits flavoured with anise and lemon every time. It was only when I started drinking coffee that I started to appreciate the cookies she made diligently every year, (And it's a long day process! The dough has to toughen and dry overnight, and then they had to age when done, which was hard to take when the house smelt wonderful and every particle of your body was screaming Cookie! Must have cookies!) using her grandmother's recipe.

After I left home I would make Reindeer Tongues and Nougats, Gingerbread Men and Gumdrop Wreaths. Chocolate-chip Walnut Biscotti and Fruitcake Drops.

(this was all before I hatched the monkeys, of course.)

This year? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

This year I know where I can get my cookie fix, where no one else has to be the wiser and I can luxuriate in all the goodness of Cookie Mecca....

Thank God for Church teas. And Food Tables.

4 comments:

witchypoo said...

Some of the volunteers at those Church Bake Sales have more volunteering spirit than they do culinary talent. You'd best be sampling first is all I'm saying...

tut-tut said...

You know, I used to do all this kind of thing, too, but being Santa over the years has worn me to a frazzle . . .

evilpinkcupcake said...

I make two kinds of cookies at Christmas time, my famous Snickerdoodles and peppermint candy canes... mmmmm it's making me hungry just thinking of them, I may have to whip up a few batches tomorrow!

jAMiE said...

Mmmmm, Christmas baked goods are so yummy...my sister just baked some shortbread last night and then are sooo good.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...