Thursday 12 June 2008

growing up isn't easy for parents to watch

I was aware she was growing up. Really. I was. Last week we started the no-diapers-at-night-anymore thing (and holy God, I think I'm done with diapers!!) and she's getting taller and more beautiful all the time, and she tests out at a 4.5 age level with her speech and comprehension (From these humble beginnings) but she's still my baby on so many levels.

And then yesterday there was this:
First bike. The tricycle is no longer.

and then today there was this:
Cass started t-ball for the summer. And damned if


Rosey didn't want to play too.

So now I have two kids in tball. TWO KIDS IN T-BALL.

Now, aren't I right in assuming there has been some breach of contract here? She was supposed to stay little a whole lot longer, right? RIGHT?

Tonight, my big girl threw the ball back. She walked (not quite getting the concept yet) around the bases, and hit the ball. I was so proud. And oh yeah, she's hooked.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find some baby socks and babble about 'but she was so small!' to Bear for awhile.....

15 comments:

barbra said...

Tonight the kids and I looked at pictures from two years ago and "Oohed" and "Aaahed" at how small everybody was! It felt good to do it with them.

Anonymous said...

Boy am I ever right there with you. Sometimes, it's almost eerie how we end up with essentially the same blog topics at around the same times. I posted a growing up story about my son earlier tonight. Let's be sad and melancholy together. Here! Have a virtual Bellini. :)

Jennefer said...

You just wait until she is 13. You will miss the little girl she was so much. Savor every moment. It's gut wrenching.

Anonymous said...

And? How times change. There were no helmets for sports (except football) when we were kids. Well, when I was anyway. I look at the bike pictures and think they wanted me to die.

tut-tut said...

Oh my . . . it's only the blink of any eye and then they're teenagers. Keep your eyes wide open from now on!

Woman in a Window said...

Your humour is so sharp! And yet your pain is real. I was talking with a friend yesterday who has a boy who is 16/17, something ludicrous and wrong! I mean, why do they do these things to us? Don't they know they need to stay pint sized...

blackbird said...

I told Youngest, only yesterday, that he has no right getting so tall so fast...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's right around Miss R's age that they seem to change overnight.

The photos are just so darn cute!

Stomper Girl said...

I hear ya! My baby canNOT stop talking about how he's starting school next year. I know you're nearly a big boy sweetie, all right? No need to rub it in though. Sheesh!

alison said...

Tucked away in my undies drawer is a tiny pair of bright red socks that the girls wore when they were only a few months old.

Is it weird that some days I take them out and look at them?

I know how you feel.

Chantal said...

I was going through my youngest sons closet and I found a pair of infant socks and got all chocked up. Your not alone!

Christy said...

I love that she's too cool to run the bases.

I think that's a plus.

(But I don't play ball...)

meggie said...

The truth is, they grow up way too fast! Then your grandkids grow with the speed of light!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful girls! My baby girl just turned 32 Tuesday; how the hell did that happen already...!??? She was in T-ball, too. She is a fighter. She was one of three senior girls on her high schools first soccer team (coed that year) and was voted most improved and most ferocious and fearless! You're a GOOD MOM!

My float said...

Don't they grow up too quickly. I looked at some photos of my son six months ago and even in that time he's become such a big boy. sob.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...