Friday 9 July 2010

evolving

There are times I look at this blog and I hate the voice I've become. I feel like the entirety of it is all rah-rah go mom things, all pictures of my children and stuff about school, and less of me. Major Bedhead talked about that today, about looking in the mirror and not recognizing the woman there, and sometimes? Sometimes I don't recognize my own life here, in these pages.

And now, to take my own advice, here I'll give you a story, and stop blatting angst:


We've been in the pool a lot lately, where a lot equals at least once per day, and I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when the kids started running out with fabric strips to dry themselves I thought had been consigned to the rag-bag long ago. I was idly looking over the picnic table where all the towels park until they're needed and realized that they all had at least one hole, and most were thin and flimsy. And was that one from my mother's house? (I haven't lived with my parents for....um...twenty-odd years? These are OLD towels. Practically antiques.)

At that point, I realized something that has probably been evident to most of you:
I'm just not terribly domestic.

Towels and dishcloths   - completely beyond my radar. So yesterday I sucked it up and went to a big box store and reveled in their low low prices and ohmigod TOWELS that aren't paper thin and stringing themselves into oblivion along one edge.  There! I thought. There! We look less like a paper-bag family now.
I paused, all triumphant and busy making a home! and maybe this domestic stuff isn't so bad!

and watched the children promptly use them, then toss them at the laundry basket and forget them.

Maybe they don't care about perfection? Maybe I shouldn't care about it, either.

At least not while there's a pool waiting.

9 comments:

molly said...

Ah, but when you climb out of the pool, isn't it nice to have a thick, thirsty towel waiting instead of a threadbare rag?

Major Bedhead said...

Domestic perfection is overrated and unachievable, unless you have minions to keep it all just so all the time. Plus, I don't want to live in a magazine shoot all the time. I like a little clutter, it makes it feel more home-like.

But yeah, new towels are pretty much the bomb. I threw away a couple of towels the other day that my mother bought when she redid her bathroom. In 1985.

kyooty said...

YAY for new towels, but hey if you throw them in a pile after they go through the washing machine? without folding? they are still clean! :P

motherbumper said...

What is this domestic stuff you speak of? SB and I realized that we also were using the towels we had snagged from our parent's homes and decided that now that we are *cough* 40ish we should buy our own. One more reluctant step towards adulthood I guess ;)

apathy lounge said...

Honey, ou are singing my song!

apathy lounge said...

you

M&Co. said...

I know what you are talking about.

And about the towels, we've been married almost 20 years and other than the odd beach towel, I have not had to buy one in the entire time. We got oodles and oodles when we were married but they are now beginning to show their age.

BabelBabe said...

i bought all our pool towels at the thrift store because more often than not my children forget them there. this way i don't care. now I DO buy smooshy new towels for me & H for the bathroom : )

Cindy said...

I don't want to live in a magazine shoot all the time. I like a little clutter, it makes it feel more home-like. thanx for the post.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...