Wednesday 11 August 2010

things I wonder about

There are things I wonder about, you know.

Small things, inconsequential things meshing in with the big questions, ponderings that strike in the shower and follow me through my day.

What will we do when one of the cats passes away? While Lucy is still technically a kitten (although she's as round as the moon and twice as tricky) Chumba of the Motorboat Purrrr is twelvish and Kate The Venerable seventeen. I like having three cats around - I enjoy their camaraderie and personalities, but really - litterboxing for three? Not fun.

What do people do with the nose pads on their glasses when they get dirty? There's obviously some trick to it - everyone doesn't wait until they get good and filthy and then slink into the optometrists to ask, all red faced, for them to be changed, do they? Judging from the muffled snickers that drift out from the back room where all the twee tools are kept, they don't. So there has to be some rhyme or reason to it, and poking at them with q-tips doesn't seem to be working. (She said, huffing indignantly while picking at bits of fluff caught under the threads of the screws)

I wonder whether this vacation (a trip to see my father and step-mother, then a rocket ride up to U-Haul some of my mother's belongings out of my step-father's garage) is going to be more happy then sad. Gosh, I hope so. It's been ten years since I've been back to where I grew up, and I want to show my kids everything.

Is B's head is going to pop clear off his neck when the kids get their hair highlighted? (It was their choice as a reward for getting awesome grades. B, sweetheart, it's just hair. It grows back. But be warned. I took your preference into mind and scheduled their appointments for after we get back from seeing my family, but September 2nd? 6 pm? It's on.)

Yeah. Those things. So if you're standing behind me in the grocery and I look glazed and troubled in the canned food section? I'm probably not pondering War and Peace. Feel free to interrupt.

Seriously. Anyone know the trick to cleaning the damn nose pads?

13 comments:

Docstonge said...

What I usually do, is to take a klenex and fold it in half. I floss the dirty area with the folded crease. So use the folded edge like dental floss, and the eye pads are teeth. I find this works pretty well.

Jess said...

Brilliant. It works!!

kyooty said...

I never thought to was that part? I wonder if using that spray cleaner would work. My son wears glasses I'll give it a shot.

BTW do you have a paper stating all the names of all the things you are bringingover or have you in the past said "stuff to follow" because Uhauling across an area close to me? fun.

Suzanne said...

How are you getting them dirty, m'dear? I've had these glasses three years and the nose pads are fine.

The lenses, on the other hand, are in dire need of replacement. That will happen the day I get back from my vacation, because I am not going through another semester struggling to actually see the words in my textbooks!

CoffeeJitters (Judy Haley) said...

I dont have the same problem since chemo took my hear, but I used to have a lot of hair - curly hair - which was a BIG problem with those damn nose pads. I'd put my glasses up on top of my head, and then when I needed them again, my hair had tied itself in knots around the nose pads. there's nothing quite like coolly strutting down the street thinking you look all hot, then trying to lower your sunglasses and tripping over your own feet while trying to detangle them from your hair. Or having to pull over on the side of the road to get your sunglasses off your head so you can see to drive. sorry, I don't have any advice on cleaning the nose pads, my glasses never lasted long enough for them to get dirty.

molly said...

What a cool mom you are! Yes indeed, it is only hair! The other moms might gang up on you though when school starts----seems to me all their peers will want streaks in their hair when they see your two!

Anonymous said...

Using one of those eyeglasses kits they sell at drugstores, unscrew the nosepads and give them a good cleaning (frames too) when they're off. Then reassemble the whole job. That works best. That's what I did when I worked for an optometrist, years ago.

xoxo
Flicka

AlaphGypsy said...

I used hydrogen peroxide to get my nose pads sparkling clean again - just dripped it on with a cotton ball and rinsed it away a few minutes later. Removing the nose pads and soaking them in peroxide works wonderfully as well.

Or you could always do what I finally did a few months ago - get a pair of sexy glasses that doesn't have nose pads. ☺

mamatulip said...

I scrub 'em with a toothbrush and a bit of green cleaner. The nosepads, I mean.

Bon said...

i am nearly 40 and still trying to explain to my dear mom that it's just hair.

i hope your vacation is treating you kindly.

that girl said...

wow. i learned something new today! feels darn good too.

i am new here and will be back.

Elizabeth said...

I don't have any advice on cleaning the nose pads, my glasses never lasted long enough for them to get dirty.

BabelBabe said...

what Flicka said. but I have sworn up and down that my next pair of glasses won't have pads.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...