Thursday 5 April 2012

traffic stop

I took the curve in front of the grocery too fast.

My mind was elsewhere, full of the daily hubbub, the usual go-here-go-there-are-we-getting-low-on-that that runs as background most busy days.

So I pulled out too fast. And stared, incredulously, as a telephone pole (was that there before?) was suddenly in my way, filling my vision.

I swallowed hard, feeling the echo of what-could-have-been deep in my chest, the THUD, the disjointedness of the moment, the sudden silence. Air bags? A screech of brakes? WHUMP and a disjointed did-I-do-that?-shit-I-did-that and an overwhelming desire to turn the clock back just a few minutes. The sheepishness of the crumpled car.

It seems the body does remember  - I've been in one car crash, and it was 24 (twenty-four???) years ago. This was visceral, deep and automatic.

Swallowing hard, I took my foot off the gas, and turned neatly past the pole.


I will never pull out of the grocery parking lot so quickly again.



5 comments:

sweetcoalminer said...

Scary! I agree that those moments never leave you.

MARY G said...

Gulp! Been there. I figure a good scare every decade or so improves the driving safety no end. Glad you missed.

Jen on the Edge said...

I am SO glad you're okay!

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Glad that you're okay.

Le blog de Gwen & Seg said...

Hello from France!
Your daughter is very lovely!
A soon to a small corner of France.
All my friendships.
2 girls strasbourg : Gwen & Seg.
We invite you to explore our blog.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...